Have you ever wondered whether to list your home during the holidays?
You're not alone.
Every year, we get asked this question by many of our clients, and our response is a resounding "Yes."
For Realtors, this is a terrific time of year to get your home sold. Despite the holidays being such a hectic time of year, there are many advantages to listing your home now. If you are on the fence as to whether this makes sense for you, here are 11 reasons for you to consider:
1. People who look for a home during the holidays are more serious buyers. In fact, sellers may have a better chance to stand out and face a buyer pool with more urgency to settle down.
2. Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the holidays and less competition can mean more money for you.
3. Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in January, there will be less demand for your particular home. Less demand can mean less money for you.
4. Houses show better when decorated for the holidays.
5. Buyers are more emotional during the holidays, so they are more likely to pay your price.
6. Buyers have more time to look for a home during the holidays than they do during a working week.
7. Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons.
8. January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transferees cannot wait until spring to buy, you must be on the market now to capture that market.
9. You can still be on the market, but you have the option to restrict showings during the six or seven days during the holidays.
10. You can sell now for more money and we will provide for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year.
11. By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when many more houses are on the market for less money. This will allow you to sell high and buy low.
Brian Greenwood is an owner/partner at Greenwood Real Properties/Keller Williams Realty, with offices in Canton, Easton and Westwood.