Storm Damage Causes Wires to Ignite on Thatcher Street
Fire officials were on scene Sunday afternoon to control the wires, and closed down a large portion of the road.
As the Westwood Police and Fire Departments scoured the streets on Sunday assessing damages left from Saturday's early winter storm, safety officials responded to Thatcher Street on Sunday to deal with a fire caused by downed wires.
Two live wires sparked a small blaze in front of 122 Thatcher Street around 1:30 p.m. Sunday; the fire was located on the exterior of an electric meter at the residence.
Fire and Police crews, as well as an NSTAR official, closed down a large chunk of Thatcher Street to control the live wires, which caused a large plume of smoke as they sat on the ground.
A resident of the home helped control the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher, according to Westwood Fire Captain Steven Lund.
No immediate structural damage was reported, or were any injuries were reported as a result of the incident.