5 Things You Need to Know Today in Westwood: Aug. 7
Planning Board Meeting, Be Careful of Mosquitoes and Youth Sports Getting Underway.
1. The Planning Board will be meeting tonight at 7:30. Among other things, they will be reviewing the plans for the University Station Development Proposal.
2. In light of the recent reports of Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) and West Nile Virus (WNV) being found in mosquitoes in Norfolk County, the Westwood Board of Health is reminding residents to be careful to avoid mosquito bites. They recommend taking several precautions from now through September:
Limit your time outdoors during peak periods of mosquito activity (dusk and dawn) or if you must remain outdoors, wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants.
Use a mosquito repellent that contains DEET (the chemical N-N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) and follow the directions on the label.
Take special care to cover up the arms and legs of children playing outdoors. When you bring a baby outdoors, cover the baby’s carriage or playpen with mosquito netting.
Fix holes in your screens and make sure they are tightly attached to all your doors and windows.
Remove standing water around your home. Make sure water does not collect and stagnate in ceramic pots, trash cans, recycling containers, old tires, wading pools, birds baths, etc. Remove leaves and debris that may prevent drainage of roof gutters.
3. Soccer fans, the excitement here in Westwood starts September 8 when the Westwood Youth Soccer fall season begins.
4. Yesterday marked the first day of practice for Westwood's Pop Warner football players and cheer squads. Let's wish our young athletes here in town good luck and hope they have lots of fun as they put on their helmets and raise their pom poms this fall.
5. Maybe I'm crazy for mentioning it this early, but there are only 46 more days until Westwood Day. Anyone excited yet?